Sunday, February 16, 2014

Kadyn has a shunt?

With Kadyn's hydrocephalus comes his shunt, or shall I say shunts. Kadyn has 2 shunts. It's been almost 4 years since Kadyn's last shunt malfunction. That is such a blessing. He has been a true miracle. I often forget that Kadyn even has a shunt. Since he has not had any real issues other than his epilepsy. The good thing though is his seizures are not controlling his life as much as they used to. I am thankful for this. Kadyn's conditions seem to have gotten better and not worse. At one point we were told that his conditions would pretty much take over his life, but I do not see that as the case. He has seizures still, but they are months apart and not days. I don't know what the future holds for his shunts but so far they are working perfectly. Kadyn is 6 years old, which is 6 years more than what we were told we would have with him. He is the definition of a true fighter. Everyday he is learning something new, and doing these new skills. The other day in school he said bottle and bye bye for the first time. I haven't heard these but Kadyn likes to say something 1 time or 2 times and then that is it, you wont hear it for awhile or ever again if that. He is also sitting up unsupported more. Not for very long periods of time but he is doing it and getting into the sitting position all on his own. I am so proud of him. He is also taking many steps in his walker at school. My hope is by summer i can take him for walks where he can walk himself.

Kyle is 6 months old today. It is amazing how time just flies right on by. He can roll from back to front and front to back. He can not quite sit up unsupported yet but we are almost there. He loves watching my dogs and touching them. He is exploring his surroundings more. He is still an amazing sleeper. Sleeping through the night every night in his own bed. I think him being able to sleep in his own bed is the best decision I ever made. I know there is this whole big thing about co-sleeping and bed sharing but it was not for me. If my child can fall asleep by me just laying him in his bed, I am all for it. His only comfort items are is stuffed monkey that sings and his thumb. Yup I have a little thumb sucker, but I am ok with that. Thumbs are free, binki's are expensive. Kyle self weaned from his paci at 3 months old. Amazing!


Kadyn is a little more nicer and gentle with Kyle. He knows not to pinch him and to be careful. I think he realizes that Kyle is a baby. I just hope that I can teach Kyle not to judge anyone. I hope that I can raise him around Kadyn to accept everyone for their disabilities and all. I hope I can teach him not to say cruel things to people because they are "different" I want to raise him right. I think Kyle will be a super sweet boy. He is already super sweet and so happy all the time.




0 comments: