Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Ranting about SSI. Yup!

SSI, Social Security Income. It is suppose to be for those who are disabled. Now everyone's definition of disabled is different, but I think we can all agree if your child has a condition but it's not affecting them, and they are developmentally typical for there age, they should NOT receive this money because they are NOT disabled.

Kadyn is not a typical 6 year old. He can not sit up, he can not walk, talk, self feed or do the self care necessary to care for himself. He needs a wheelchair, he goes to a school for handicapped children. He is still in diapers, and can not wipe his own butt. Yet he doesn't qualify per the state of Michigan for SSI, although they agree he is 100% disabled? Kadyn has Hydrocephalus, Epilepsy, Chiari Malformation, and many other little conditions that actually affect his life. He has had over 30 surgeries, 27 which were for his shunt, yet he can't get a dime. In all honestly we are in a spot now where we don't really need it. I was going to save it up and put it away for Kadyn for when he gets older. Harvey and I won't live forever and someone will have to take care of Kadyn. He will always need around the clock daily care.

I see so many parents thinking because their child was born with a condition that they need SSI. No they don't. Having a condition does not entitle your child to money unless it affects their life daily. You have no right collecting money that should be going towards another family who cares for a disabled person, not you at all.

For two years I struggled to care for Kadyn BY MYSELF while Harvey was deployed. The Army refused to pay for separation because Harvey and I are not married, even though paternity had been established. We wanted to save for a house, so for two years Kadyn and I lived off $400 a month. This was before Kadyn's diapers and wipes were paid for by insurance as well. So I had to bye groceries, put gas in my Jeep, buy diapers, wipes, bottles nipples, clothing, care products ect all on $400. I did it, but it would of been a lot easier if we could get SSI. I couldn't even get food stamps or any kind of state help, even with a handicap child. One thing I did get was a Handicap Parking permit, and I must say that is so much better than any money the state could ever offer me. I'd rather get an awesome parking spot than money any day!


If your child is meeting all their milestones on time or ahead of time, your child is NOT handicapped.


With all that said, I feel a lot better. Kadyn is doing great and so is Kyle. Been way tooo busy being a mom to my kiddos to actually update my blog. 

5 comments:

mikesmrs said...

Wow! This is outrageous! Can you appeal? Maybe you should contact your representative or senator. This is not right.

casey said...

This is your blog and you have the right to post your opinion, but I would have to disagree with you on the disability part. I also have hydro and epi and I have met all of my developmental goals, but I am still disabled. Having hydro is having a disability. So, if you have a shunt and you have lived for the past 40 years with the same shunt and it has not failed, does that define you as not being disabled, but when it does fail, you are now disabled, all because it is affecting your life in the here and now?

Sara said...

If you are able to work and provide for yourself and family, you may be disabled but you shouldn't qualify for SUPPLEMENTAL social security income, is pretty much what I was trying to get at.



You have a right to disagree, not everyone will agree with me, and I am ok with that :). I respect everyone's opinions.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear that you lost your SSI case, but please appeal. Kayden is most certainly disabled. If you appeal and lose again, you can then request a hearing before an administrative law judge, and then it is out of the states hands, and the judge will make the final decision. They rarely approve disability cases on the first application, you have to try again and again. This is because the economy is poor, and people are trying to get any type of assistance possible, even claiming disability. I know it is a lot of waiting, and fighting the system, but this is how they weed out serious cases, and no so serious cases. Keep fighting, and keep your head up. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Oh how I hope you read this. I had to reapply three times and with legal help for the last time. The lawyer informed me that SSI almost always denies the first time you apply. Hoping you leave it at that. You know your son deserves to be on SSI. So just keep on reapplying. Hopefully it wont take as many tries. Or you don't have to hire an lawyer. When he does get his SSI you will receive any monies from the first time you applied. It will be back dated to the first application. Also I found out that the lawyer was paid for out of the back funds you would of received. So check into that. It always seams the ones who need it the most have to fight for it and that is just wrong.